Studying the historical British martial arts of smallsword, backsword and pugilism.
Home > Library > Articles
Articles related to Swordsmanship
- Contemporary articles by Bethan Jenkins, including an article on Thomas Page.
- Contemporary articles by Rachel Kellett, relating to medieval German literature and swordsmanship.
- Henry Wilkinson's Observation's on Swords, 1844. An interesting article criticising officers for carrying inferior swords rather than those manufactured by Wilkinson Sword.
- Manly Peeke of Tavistock, by J Brooking Rowe, 1879. An account of the adventurer Richard Peeke's Three to One of 1625, in which Peeke, having been captured, wins his freedom by besting three Spaniards.
- Extracts from various Oxford University statutes, of interest due to mentions of weapons, fighting and so on.
- Work for Cutlers, a famous play involving dialogue between a sword, rapier and dagger.
- Extracts from the Encyclopædia of Sport, 1898.